Matt Anniss - Frequently heard DJ proclamations
Journalist and raconteur Matt Anniss uncovers some of the mystery behind the whispers in the DJ booth …
5) “This year I’ve really been digging [Insert name of sub-genre of dance music here].”
Translation: At last I have a chance to showcase my long-hidden love of trance without being laughed at by 22 year-olds.
4) “I can’t believe Jeremy Underground asked for a hotel with a Sauna!”
Translation: Why didn’t I think of putting that in my rider?
3) “I’ve had this record for years.”
Translation: I saw it pop up in a DJ Harvey/Ben UFO/Helena Hauff/DJ Sotofett/Young Marco/Paris Hilton (delete as appropriate) set list and bought it last week for 10 times its’ value on Discogs.
2) “I’ve always been a fan of rotary mixers.”
Translation: I want to keep up with the cool kids. My £2,000 rotary sounds amazing with the hi-fi mini-system I bought as a teenager and never replaced.
1) “I think of myself as a selector.”
Translation: I’ve been to Red Light Records, spent £500 quid on records that Tako and Abel play, and am angling for a gig at Spiritland.
- Admin (Omena) – Charity shop bargains
- Matt Anniss - Frequently heard DJ proclamations
- Mark Archer (ALTERN8) - Nights and Promoters
- Andy Blake (World Unknown) - Favourite things
- Mira Calix (WARP) - Exhibitions
- Josh Caffe - Albums
- Thomas Cox (Infinitestatemachine) - Favourite things
- baze.djunkiii (Intrauterin Recordings) - Favourite things
- Annie Errez – Record shops
- Terry Farley (Boy’s Own) - House tracks
- Funk D'Void (Soma) - Greggs Pasties
- Dj Harri (Subclub) - Nut based snacks
- Jerome Hill (Don't) - Musical things
- LUV*JAM - Sneaks n Nips
- Jozef K (Sankeys) - Favourite Djs
- Owain K (Innate) - Favourite things
- Johanna Knutsson - Meal experiences
- Dean Muhsin (Dispersion) - Top cities to be hungover in
- Joe Muggs - Subcultural acts of resistance
- Nightwave (Heka Trax) - Scottish beers
- Jon daSilva (HACIENDA) – Club tracks
- CP Smith (CPU Records) - Favourite things
- Placid (WGD) – Favourite records
- Posthuman – Best gigs
- Roberto (Fossil Archive) - Comedy moments
- Toby Tobias (ESP Institute) – Favourite things
- Twin Speaks (Happy Skull) - Maize based snacks
- Vince Watson (Transmat) – Awkward gigs (fuckups)
- Kirsti Weir (null + void) – Radio shows